Inspired simultaneously and erratically by the blog thoughts of both Stanley Lee and Ned Rorem.

Jul 27, 2009

I ran into Joel Sachs today while I was munching on a stale-overpriced piece of mochi from my cup of Pinkberry. (Professor and Director of New Juilliard Ensemble)

We talked for a good 10 minutes. Though I didn't ask (nor was I even vaguely curious), he proceeded to bestow upon me an intellectual diatribe regarding my [in]ability to think - according to him, my "vast knowledge of history, literature, art, and music is impressively unimpressive." I am, apparently, unable to formulate a coherent intellectual opinion regarding any aspect of art without "falling" against a wealth of completely irrelevant contextual information. I am, apparently, able to tell you when, where, and why a painting from the 20th century was conceived and exactly what was going on in the world at that time; but unable to tell you why it is beautiful. Or even if it is. Furthermore, he said, I completely defy the old cliche "knowledge is power" because I replace that power with the inability to make aesthetic value judgements without separating content from context; the latter for which I am a junkie.

On a normal day, I'd usually tell him to either eat a dick or take a long walk on the short pier. But for some reason, this hit me hard. Nobody has ever accused me of not thinking before. Is he right?

Oh hell. Eat a dick.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's okay carlos. i too, have taken harsh beatings for not thinking. one day, i hope i'll learn to use my brain. meanwhile, if i can get used to it, so can you.

Anonymous said...

you eat at pinkberry? what a homo.
anyways, how long do you think life is that you're actually willing to waste any precious minutes of it thinking about whether you can think. or worse, you're thinking about whether other people think you can think. coocoo, that type of mental masturbation is gayer than pinkberry. move on! live.
-your anti-intellectual sister

Quelani Penland said...

wtf is he talking about. sounds like he's shitting on you to make up for his small dick.

come by and visit us at summer symphony next week!

- quelani

Carlos said...

who are you, anonymous?

Anonymous said...

Separating content from its context can be extremely dangerous. Anyone who corners you and claims that you are a product of mere postmodernism is idiotic. You cannot be defined in one -ism; aritstically and personally you are a unique bleed. You do not settle in belonging in one category. You know why Rothko's paintings are beautiful and why Beethoven and Pac are amazing without relying on the information some bald headed mummies give you.

Tell him to go fuck himself, and stop being jealous/competitive with ones with brain and heart.

Blog Archive

Followers