Inspired simultaneously and erratically by the blog thoughts of both Stanley Lee and Ned Rorem.

Nov 15, 2003

After almost 6 months of feeding off the cosmic-intellectual-sublime-and-beyond rantings of late-Beethoven, I have been finally zapped back into the beauty of aesthetic-pianism: Rachmaninoff. In reality, I am tired of thinking. Beethoven demands thinking, and that sucks. In fact, thinking sucks. I don't wanna do it anymore. I just wanna play and let loose. To all you thinking-people out there, take a few months away from your artsy-fartsiness, and indulge in the universal-beauty that, as a past teacher reminded me, will have you reeling unless (a) you were dropped on your head as a child, (b) lying.

Beethoven is truth, Rachmaninoff is indulgent beauty. Too much of the latter can only be a good thing.

"It is refreshing to hear my songs sung by the mindless singer with a voice, than by the intellectual without one."
-Ned Rorem, keepin' it real.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers